Monday, April 5, 2010

Coco Coke

Le maison de Chanel seems to be branching out in every way possible.  Chanel is without a doubt my favourite label.  Coco Chanel is the most influential designer of all time and the brand still reflects her classic approach to style.  However, Chanel seems to be everywhere these days, from fake purses in Chinatown to temporary tattoos (that cost $80 a pack) seen on Sarah Jessica Parker and fashion victims everywhere.

These tattoos piss me off to no end. Chanel has branded a makeup technique they used for their Spring/Summer 2010 show, and have packaged it for the masses...as long as you're willing to shell out $80 for them.  To put that into perspective, if you work minimum wage, you would need to work nearly 8 hours to afford these.  I agree, they are a great take on body art (without the commitment of a real tat) but you are transforming your own SKIN into a "billboard" for Chanel.  I love the label and yearn to own a 2.55 bag someday.  However, when I will wear that bag, I understand that I will be advertising Chanel, but I will also have a functional item that lasts a lifetime, instead of black ink that will wash off in a few days.  I could easily afford these tattoos, but I'd rather spend my $80 towards a new pair of shoes.

Chanel isn't just on skin...

Karl Lagerfeld, genius behind the image of Chanel today is a spokesperson for CocaCola light.  Great.  The most popular beverage in the world (besides water) now comes in "designer" form. 

This French ad starring, Coco Rocha and Baptiste Giacobini will be launched April 28th all around Paris.  But the bottle of coke won't cost a couple euros... expect to pay 47 euros (thats around 64 dollars US). 

Other designers have made designs as well, including (from left to right) Alberta Ferretti, Blumarine, Etro, Fendi, Marni, Missoni, Moschino and Versace... the list continues.


The bottles are cool, and I like how the fashion designers are bringing art and creativity to the classic bottles.  Too bad they weren't more affordable... They are obviously collecter's items that will end up selling for double on eBay, only to have a life on the bookshelf of someone label obsessed.

I think Coco Chanel just rolled around in her grave... if only she knew how her name and vision was being abused.


1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails