Sunday, June 13, 2010

This is like Metro, but worse.

I have spent every summer of my life in a little town of just over 2000 people, known as Apsley... or North Kawartha Township, if you prefer to call it that.  I haven't been up north since April and to my shock and horror, a lot had changed in a couple months.

The town has undergone major advances in the past year, with a new Home Hardware, a newly built public school (these kids have it MADE compared to the ghetto I spent 6 years in), library, hockey rink (that could probably house a provincial team it's so massive), community centre, and dozens of new knick knack shops.
These are all positive changes, making Apsley beautiful and putting cottagers' tax dollars to good use.  It's amazing how mainly locals can actually utilise these facilities, yet 416'ers are footing the bill, and we're talking millions...   
Surprisingly, for a hunting town, there is no bar in Apsley (even the restaurant doesn't have a liquor license).  But cottagers and locals alike frequent the LCBO year round.  Its selection of party liquors is impressive, this is without a doubt the most epic and cramped liquor store in the North Kawarthas.

Last year, a similar phenomenon to what I experienced this weekend happened in Toronto; all of the Dominion grocery store signs were replaced with neon signs that read: metro.  The whole greater Toronto area was plagued with confusion and grieved the loss of Dominion... it was later explained through some cheesy commercials that Dominion isn't gone, it just had a new name.

This weekend, I re-experienced that same feeling of confusion, hallucination and grief.  Apsley's Sayers IGA was now known as "Foodland".


I will let this shocking tidbit sink in.

All of my life, I have been faithfully purchasing BBQ goodies at this little grocery store.  It is the hub of the city during the summer year, and it's even open on Holidays like Canada Day and Labour Day.  

As a child, I mistakenly called it "IG-Poo" and the name has stuck since.

I cannot imagine calling the heart of the "city" by anything other than its proper name.  IGA, you will always hold a special part in my memory, along with Dominion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails