Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Barbie can be... an Engineer!

Geek chic seems to be wherever you look.  Shows like The Big Bang Theory and Glee are popularizing the underdog of highschool... the nerd.

Barbie.com recently launched a poll to help decide the 125th edition of their popular career dolls, and by popular vote, Computer Engineer Barbie was born!  http://www.barbie.com/vote/



The doll is actually really cute!  Barbie is rarely seen without heels, but this one sports pink ballet flats with a coordinating hot-pink laptop.  Her glasses are also reminiscent of a pair by D&G... which I've been lusting for!

Barbie has been a chef, a lawyer, a doctor, so this was only natural.  I personally think it's great that there is now an Engineer Barbie, especially since it is such a male dominated field.  I work at an engineering firm, and I am the only girl in this office. (And I'm only a receptionist...) It's fantastic that young women will have a female figure to look up to, if they're interested in pursuing a career in engineering. 

I'm also falling in love with the Barbie News Anchor... I'm glad that I now have a role model in plastic form!


In other Barbie related news...David Dixon, one of my favourite Canadian Designers will be debuting his Barbie by David Dixon Fall/Winter collection at LGFW tomorrow.  Tickets were sold out for the event, but I can't wait to see what he will bring to the runway this time!


I feel like we can all use a little fun in our lives... and this collection is definitely fun, flirty and classic... all qualities shared by the ubiquitous and classic doll that is still popular today.  (50s are the new 30s after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails