Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I wouldn't bat an eye over it...

Eyelashes have been an obsession in the pursuit of beauty and perfection.  Women go to great lengths, (pardon the pun) to achieve thick, lucsious lashes.  We painstakingly glue on plastic lashes (sometimes one by one) and spend hundreds of dollars a year on mascara. Some have even bought into the latest "eyelash growth" formulas that claim to increase lash production in order to achieve that youthful look.

Eyelashes are a symbol of youth and fertility.  As we get older, they gradually start to thin.  Brooke Shields is an endorser of Latisse, an eyelash growth solution.  You apply a thin layer of the solution at the roots of your eyelashes (where you would apply eyeliner), and like 'magic', in a couple weeks, people will gradually see fuller, longer lashes.  The lashes themselves do not get larger, but there is more eyelash hair production (think of it as Rogaine for your peepers).

... but beauty doesn't come without a price. 
Common side effects include irritation and redness, but "LATISSE® use may cause darkening of the eyelid skin which may be reversible. LATISSE® use may also cause increased brown pigmentation of the colored part of the eye which is likely to be permanent." (http://www.latisse.com/)

So kiss those baby blue eyes goodbye.

It's crazy what lenghts women will go to these days to rejuvenate their image.  False eyelashes might look tacky and if applied incorrectly, make you look like a stripper from Jilly's, but at least you will not have to risk permanently tinting your iris...

My eyelashes are so long that when I wear glasses, they scrape the insides of the lens.  I was blessed by their length and fullness, but I also want to point out that my lashes are nearly white.  I spend tons of time applying mascara or curling their unruly, often wild ways.  But then, sometimes, it's nice to let them be natural and appreciate their beauty as they were intended to be.  I realized how much time I spend a day covering up or changing the way I look, instead of enhancing what's already there. 

From now on, I'm saving the falsies for Halloween... even though my heart still longs for the outlandish styles from Shu Umuera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails