Friday, March 12, 2010

Why I love Betty White.

It's official.  Betty White will host SNL on May 8th.  As her facebook page (which was started by fans, not her) nears 500 000 members, White has finally agreed to host the sketch comedy show, and I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of her soon.


This past year alone, White has appeared in the massive comedy The Proposal and starred in a Snickers Superbowl ad.



White gives us that self-depricating humour.  She isn't afraid to make fun of herself or put herself into a negative light.  My favourite White incarnation was when she starred as Rose on the hit sitcom, Golden Girls.  I watch the show religiously, and since it was brought back for re-runs on TVTropolis, I've been glued to the boobtube at 2pm or 5pm every weekday.

This is one of my favourite scenes from the series:


Dorothy (Bea Arthur) and Blanche (Rue McClanahan) poke fun at Rose


The Golden Girls gives us raw dialogue, and four old ladies that haven't given up on having fun.  They're the Sex and the City gals of Florida, no doubt.



White was offered the host spot years ago, but declined it.  "Years ago, I turned it down three times.  It's so New York, and I'm not New York at all.  But my agent said he'd divorce me if I didn't do it, and I love my agent," says White.  I can't wait to see what White will bring to the table to SNL.  It's about time they have more diverse hosts in an older age group.  I've grown kind of sick watching Taylor Swift (painfully) act.  White is a seasoned comedienne that will surely bring in the ratings and the laughs.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE GOLDEN GIRLS LOL! Used to watch it when I was younger!!! thank you for reincarnating such a wonderful show from the past into my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol you're welcome ;) it plays every weekday at 2 pm on TvTropolis, two episodes back to back, then those same episodes are repeated at 5pm in case u missed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for Betty White. She deserves the attention she's getting now. And she's surprisingly edgy lately. Long live Rose!

    www.torontoverve.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails