Thursday, April 22, 2010

Objet d'art

I love bags.  Usually, I always carry a massive satchel in a crazy colour, where I can shove practically my whole life inside of it.  I love quilted bags with chain straps, and bags with zippers, grommets, flowers, you name it.  But nothing is more elegant than a clutch.  Clutches give designers infinite possibilities.  Since they are tinier, and have less function than a larger bag, a clutch can take on sculptural forms or be made out of unique materials.

Recently, I've been dying for a union jack clutch that is elegant, but still makes a statement.  I've seen many (for cheap) at retailers like Aldo, but all of them look like they were put through the washer with Ke$ha's, Lady Gaga's and Liberace's laundry, since an explosion of cheap sequins ruins any potential.

The Union Jack Snakeskin Lips Clutch by Lulu Guiness fits the bill.  It is a large statement piece on its own, and would dress up any little black dress/booties that are staples in my wardrobe. This one retails for £395, so it has a large prictag, but is somewhat more affordable (and would make a great souvenir of a trip to London...if I ever make it to that city)



This clutch by Alexander McQueen is even more delicious.  It's teeny (just a bit larger than an iPhone) and is likely to be way out of my price range. A girl can only dream...



... perhaps I should stay true to my nationality and try to find a Matryoshka (Russian Nesting Doll) clutch like this one by Chanel from 2009.



YSL letter clutch.  I'm a big fan of snail mail...



This Judith Leiber Crystal Cupcake clutch looks pretty enough to eat... (remeber in SATC, Charlotte's daughter had one in pink?) Coincidentally, I actually happen to own a cupcake clutch (just not bedazzled).  It's great to know that Jennifer Love Hewitt can have a bag to match her Vajazzled crotch.



This is the bag I'd wear if I ever had to attend a Blue Jays game...(in reality, I'd probably never wear a bag this ghotti, or watch baseball) haha maybe I will spring for the crotch adornment to match.



You can wear your (sequined) heart around your sleeve. This is one of the few of Leiber's creations I could actually picture wearing.  It is simple and elegant, but definitely makes a statement. 

Leiber's purses are definitely luxe, and are a statement.  If memory serves me right, in an episode of SATC, Carrie got a Judith Leiber clutch in the shape of a duck from the Russian.  Kind of random, but the whimsy that comes with these pieces matches Carrie's carefree and unique style.

I'm lucky enough to own a few magnificent pieces... like this magazine clutch (unfortunately mine doesn't have a photo of audrey on it... but you get the principle)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails